Argus Residence for Young People would not be able to provide our services without the dedication and support of our committed volunteers. There are many opportunities for individuals or groups to become involved with the organization. They include:
- Fundraising: Includes involvement on a fundraising committee that is focused on various fundraising projects. Our biggest annual fundraiser is held annually in February and it is called 'A Day of Wine and Roses'.
- Life skills: Includes the areas of direct service through hands on involvement with the residents facilitating all aspects of the life skill acquisition program
- Watchful Guardians: This special program involves community members supporting residents in a one-to-one or mentorship capacity. Watchful Guardians are matched up with one resident for who they provide ongoing support to during their shelter stay and in an aftercare capacity once they transition from Argus into the community.
- Maintenance: Argus operates two shelter locations which often require a need for maintenance jobs. Individuals who have time and a handful of maintenance skills are a perfect fit for this volunteer position.
- Governance: Argus Residence for Young People is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. This Board is a diverse group of community members who meet monthly to make agency decisions, develop policy and to collectively examine new directions for the organization.
- Academic Placement: Argus is an excellent placement opportunity for college and university students with dedicated supervision and support
Volunteers at Argus have indicated to us that they have experienced both personal and professional fulfillment while feeling that they have made an incredible contribution in the lives of the young people who access Argus. Here is an excerpt from a volunteer testimonial:
'During my time at Argus, I have learned so much and I have also changed a lot. Coming to Canada from a country where I did not encounter services that cared so much about homeless youth, I was amazed to see how caring and involved people in our community are. When it comes to helping youth in need, Argus staff are wonderful. Every time I walk into the residence I feel accepted. I am often asked for my opinion and I feel like I am part of the team. People who work at Argus have big hearts, exceptional skills, a non-judgmental attitude and they treat everyone with respect. I have learned so much from all of them.-Student placement
Volunteering at Argus begins with a personal interview to determine interests and compatibility. Our screening process includes a police check and three references. Orientation and training is provided and time commitments are applied to the various volunteer positions. Should you require more information about volunteer services with Argus Residence for Young People, please contact Holli Norman at 519-623-7991 or 510-650-0452.