Argus Residence is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its employees, volunteers, clients, donors and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with, and of the public, and recognize that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the information that you choose to share with us. In line with this commitment, we will collect, use, disclose and safeguard the personal information in a manner which complies with all applicable laws.
Collection of Personal Information
Most of the personal information we collect comes to us directly from clients, donors and employees (including volunteers and independent contractors) and only with their consent.
Use of Personal Information
Personal information is only collected to enable us to provide the required services and to meet legal and regulatory requirements. Only personal information that is relevant to and necessary for the purposes identified below will be collected. The main purposes for which we collect personal information are:
- To provide emergency shelter to clients. This includes intake for youth experiencing homelessness, evaluating the eligibility and suitability of at-risk youths to receive or to continue receiving Argus services, and assisting clients to implement a case plan and achieve their goals.
- To develop, enhance and maintain responsible relationships with donors. This includes the issuance of donation tax receipts, communication with donors and potential donors of Argus news, activities and other services to promote donors' relationship with Argus.
- To establish and manage employment, volunteer and independent contractor relationships. This includes Board of Directors and Volunteer members.
- To plan, manage and develop our operations. For example, we analyze client usage of Argus services to help us manage them efficiently and effectively, and plan for future growth when we see the need.
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements. This includes meeting the reporting requirements of government agencies.
- To communicate with government agencies for funding purposes.
Personal information is only disclosed to third parties when it is necessary for the provision of the required services and to meet legal requirements. Disclosure of personal information for any purpose other than those outlined above will only be made with consent.
There may be situations in which we are legally permitted to disclose personal information without knowledge and consent of the individual. Examples of this are where disclosure is clearly in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, and where disclosure is necessary for the medical treatment of the individual and the individual does not have the legal capacity to give consent.
Protection of Personal Information
Personal information gathered by us is kept in confidence. Our employees are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information in order to discharge their official responsibilities. As a condition of employment, all Argus employees must respect and adhere to our established privacy standards. Appropriate security safeguards are in place to prevent unauthorized access to personal information.
We will make reasonable effort to ensure that all personal information is accurate and up to date as is necessary for the purposes identified above.
Questions, Concerns and Complaints
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about Argus privacy practices, please contact:
Argus Residence for Young People
PO Box 22041 RPO Water Street